Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday in Iowa






We still need rain, the grass is turning brown, I spent an hour or more after work tonight watering. I had to water some things that I rarely ever water. No rain in the forecast and it is supposed to get hot again Sunday.

I have never met a lily I didn't like and this one is no exception. The rose is on a climber. My sensation cosmos are just starting to bloom, I love Cleome and Sensation Cosmos planted together but the Cleomes do not seem too happy this year as they are very short, with no sign of a bud. I hope they catch up. I remember when I was child I used to walk to this elderly lady's house, she had a huge flower garden, all planted in rows, she had what she called spider flower (cleome), it was one of the first flowers I started planting. I no longer remember her name but I remember her flowers.

Erin my faithful garden companion, isn't she just too cute??? :)

9 comments:

kris said...

Beautiful photos - and flowers!! I especially like the first one - something about flowers against a blue, blue sky...

O.I.M said...

the grass turned brown in toronto long ago. but we got a good rain tonight. yay. your lilies are astounding and your garden companion adorable.
irena

DeeMom said...

Lovely pictures adn a ???? is the dog a Spaniel of some variety?

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Erin is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, she is just the sweetest dog. They are kind of an expensive breed, but I got her cheaper because she is a bit large for a Cavalier and her head is solid black, they are supposed to have a white stripe.

Andrea's Garden said...

As always you offer beautiful photos. we have had more rain than we want in July so far. It was rather cold as well. This weekend our temps are supposed to go up, but I am not sure how long it will stay this way. We'll enjoy the little sunshine we will get though. Have a nice weekend. Andrea

DeeMom said...

Long live Charles I.

We have had English springer spaniel’s; we so love the temperment of that breed.

A wildlife gardener said...

Love the lilies...but the dog is sooo cute :)

Melissa said...

I remember when I was child I used to walk to this elderly lady's house, she had a huge flower garden, all planted in rows, she had what she called spider flower (cleome), it was one of the first flowers I started planting. I no longer remember her name but I remember her flowers.

IMO that is what it is all about...memories...and a closeness to the earth.

Erin is an adorable dog.

I think you did a really nice with the datura in the early shot.

Nan said...

I'm with you about lilies, though I don't have the "tiger" lilies, just daylilies. How do you pronounce Cleome? I used to pronounce it like home, but have since heard it with a long e at the end.