Thursday, August 2, 2007

Suprise Lily and Hydrangea Tree







The Surprise lilies are in full bloom, a beautiful sight and scent.

My hydrangea tree is almost fully open as well. This is the second year for the trees, I am happy to say they survived our Iowa winter very well, I was not certain they would. The trees were given to us, this spring we planted 2 new hydrangea bushes close to them, Endless Summer and Pinky Winky. We also dug and transplanted two other bushes that were in other areas of our yard, one is Limelight and the other I think is Annabelle but I am not sure on that one.

The heat and humidity are still in full here in Iowa, but then it is August. I have been digging and transplanting iris for the past two weekends, my grandsons are going to be here this weekend so not sure how much digging I will get done :). I ordered two new memory sticks for my computer, I am going to ask my oldest grandson if he wants to help Grandma install them in the puter, he is 8 and loves doing things like that. Who knows maybe they can help dig iris :).

16 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Those surprise lilies look great. I have to admit, I'm not much of a "pink" person, but on those flowers, think pink looks great.

Aiyana said...

Every time I look at your blog, I see a new and unfamilar plant. I've never heard of a Hydrangea Tree! It is gorgeous, as well as the lillies, which seem to have a slight peachy hue to them.

Melissa said...

I am not sure but I think the grandkids are likely to have more fun with the memory stick - at least that was my initial response.

But now that I think about it my girls love to be involved in the garden and the dirtier the activity, the better.

DeeMom said...

Our hydrangea tree is almost fully open as well, opted to take pictures instead of weed eating. The heat here is just too intense.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Carol, I think I don't like pink but I must because I have lots of pink flowers, however I would not be caught dead wearing pink :).

No Rain, actually I had never heard of one either until they were given to us.

Me, you are probably correct :).

DeeMom, it is very hot here in Iowa also.

kate smudges said...

I just read on another blog that surprise lilies are also called resurrection lilies. That was a new name for me.

The hydrangea tree is beautiful. I'd love to see more pictures of it!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Kate, they are also called, Magic Lilys and Naked Ladies.

Connie said...

Those surprise lilies look very pretty...wish I could smell them!

Sally said...

Your surpris lilys look gorgeous. Mine didn't make it. Maybe next year... And I'd never heard of a hydrangea tree either. Beautiful!

Paula said...

Hydrangea trees? I'm not familiar with these. Have to check them out. My mom used to have Surprise Lilies. Quite fun actually, aren't they? Thanks for posting!

Barbara said...

What lovely pictures. I've never seen before the plant Surprise Lily with these tiny little blooms. Can you please help me with the botanical (latin) name? Does it belong to the family of lilium? In any case it looks great! I love hydrangeas too and wrote about them in my blog some time ago.
Greetings from Switzerland.
Barbara

Rurality said...

They call them naked ladies here I think. Makes me giggle. :)

Nice blooms!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Barbara, the latin name is Lycoris squamigera, and they are part of the lily family.

Rurality, I always knew them by naked ladies also! I did not want to make the topic of my post naked ladies, I was not sure what kind of "lookers" would stop by :).

Ottawa Gardener said...

I wish I could grow pink lilies. They look gorgeous.

Jim V said...

I absolutely love the picture with the flag in it. Indeed a beautiful picture.

kris said...

I love your hydrangea - and the surprise lilies are beautiful.