Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cardinal Flower

Posted by Picasa
I have always wanted to grow this plant successfully, I did not have much luck until this year as it likes to have its feet wet which with my sandy soil it just never happened. But last year after the flood and we had to put in a new patio, I now have the perfect spot for it. Because of the lay of the ground the patio slopes to one side for water run off purposes, I planted it right where the water runs off the patio.............perfect! It appears to be very happy. I plan on planting more there next spring. It is the most beautiful red.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't do the Cardinal Flower very well here. Yours sure is lovely!

Unknown said...

P.S. I love your gardening buddies! I have three! (Our Foxie is shown in my profile image.)

Anonymous said...

Does your Cardinal Flower attract hummingbirds? Rosie, your newest gardening buddy, is really cute!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Yes the hummers do like the cardinal flower.

Thanks for stopping by.

Garden Lily said...

Yes, great red! I have a perfect wet area for Cardinal Flower, but have been too cheap so far to buy the plant, and multiple attempts to grow it from seed weren't successful. One day...

Rosie is adorable! Wow, you have so many garden helpers now.

The JR said...

It looks very happy. Love the red.
Ramona

sweetbay said...

That's great! Cardinal flowers can be hard to find good spots for them to be happy..